Sukkat Shalom (Shelter of Peace)
A group of Temple Micah congregants has created Sukkat Shalom to support new refugees and immigrants at risk of deportation. We invite all interested Temple Micah members to participate. Regardless of time commitments or skill sets, there is a wide range of volunteer opportunities.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE’RE DOING
We are a group of Temple Micah congregants who have committed to sponsoring a refugee family for one year through Lutheran Social Services’ (LSS) Good Neighbors Program, the settlement agency contracted by the US State Department to support refugees coming to this area.
In partnership with LSS, we are providing, among other things:
- Rent support
- Health care referrals
- Employment counseling
- Community orientation
- Friendship and companionship
The goal is for the family to become independent and self-sustaining, for the parents to have appropriate employment, and for the children to adapt to school.
The Immigrant Sanctuary Group will work with other congregations to identify ways to support people at risk of deportation. This group is at the very early stages of forming and is trying to gauge interest in the Micah community.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
LSS requires that anyone spending time with the family has a government background check. After you sign up, please send a check for $30 MADE OUT TO LUTHERAN SOCIAL SERVICES to Temple Micah. Go here to sign up for a background check.
LSS requires that we log our volunteer hours. This helps with their grant reporting and helps demonstrate our commitment.
- To log your hours, please go to the following site, My Volunteer Page: www.myvolunteerpage.com
(or if you still need to create an account go to: http://bttr.im/0pju7
- If you’ve already created an account, log in to your account
- Click on the HOURS tab on the top the page
- For Activity, you should see the option to select “Temple Micah GNP Group”
- Enter the date your worked (or attended a meeting)
- Enter the number of hours and minutes worked
- Answer the feedback questions associated with the activity (if there are any)
- Click the “Save” button to create the hours log entry.
We welcome everyone’s help. Read Rabbi Zemel’s letter about Sukkat Shalom.